Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Beach Bound

I'm leaving this afternoon to head to the lovely shores of Gulf Coast Alabama, where I'll spend nearly a week hanging out on the beachwith my husband, mom, dad, and three sisters. Could be fun... it will definitely be dramatic (with all my sisters there's no way that there won't be lots of high-pitched squealing going on). I packed my bags this morning. Listed below are a few of the fair trade things I brought...and a couple of things I wish I had packed.

Beach Bag
I can't imagine a much better beach tote than these recycled rice bags. Made in Cambodia, these bags were originallyused for transporting rice and animal feed. Brilliantly, this recycled bag found new life in the hands of disabled and disadvanted workers, many of whom are victims of land mines and/or polio.


Sarongs
Use it as a beach cover-up. Lay it on the sand and make it a picnic blanket. Take it home and make it a tablecloth. The sarong is a jack-of-all-trades--there's not much it can't do. Grab these kikoys, the East African version of a wrap or sarong, and you will be ready for just about anything.



Flip Flop Key Chain
Flip flops just might be my favorite article of summer clothing: they're comfy, laidback, and fun.
These key chains, made in Zimbabwe, are the perfect way to keep the summer spirit going...even when you leave the beach and get in your car to head back home.



The Twofer
Don't you love things that are two-in-one? If so, you'll fall hard for this adorable top that doubles as a breezy skirt. Packing this means I've got two outfits for the price of one.
Plus, the batiked shirt/skirt is made in Ghana by Global Mamas, a group that works with small women-led enterprises. Everyone wins!

No comments: