Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Reverse Trick or Treat

Halloween is months and months away, but that doesn't mean it's too early to start thinking about how to make this year's ghoulish event the best ever.
I, for one, think that means fair trade. And luckily enough, for the third straight year, Global Exchange and Equal Exchange have partnered up to provide chocolate and fair trade info to hand to all comers. Here's what Equal Exchange says about the program: "The goal of the campaign is for trick-or-treaters nationwide to distribute informational cards, each with a piece of Fair Trade chocolate, to as many households as possible."
I know it's only mid-August (already? where has the summer gone?!?!), but it's already time to place orders for this year's Reverse Trick-or-Treat program. Orders for chocolate and postcards must be placed by Oct. 1, but word is that the chocolate will be gone long before then. (Note: orders from Southern states--like Tennessee--will cost $15 more for shipping since warm temperatures down here require 2nd Day Air.)
One blogging mom did this program last year. I thought you might be interested on her take on the experience, as she did the Reverse Trick-or-Treat a bit differently than the groups sponsoring the event suggest.
We gave the candy to teachers, the boys’ friends' parents, and neighbors a day or so before Halloween.
I felt a little preachy doing it, but I thought, “I’m giving them chocolate so I’m sure they won’t mind.” I wanted to spread the word a bit about the importance of fair trade chocolate, but I was hesitant to have my boys hand it out as they went door to door begging others for candy. I didn’t want them to give a message to people they didn’t know that might have been interpreted like this:
You know that candy you just gave me. It could have been better. The candy you just generously gave me, that I asked you for, was probably made from cocoa picked by poor kids who are being overworked. You should give different, better candy.
So we went the route of friends and neighbors who I thought wouldn’t interpret it like that.

No comments: