Monday, August 24, 2009

A Little Bit Nutty

You'll go nuts for these bracelets...literally!
Handcrafted in Columia by economically disadvantaged women, these bracelets are made of tagua nuts,, which grow on tagua palms in South America. The nuts used in this jewelry are indigenous to Columbia.
The tagua palm has an amazing story. They first became popular as a responsible substitute for elephant ivory. Today, they prevent the destruction of rain forests and are used to make everything from beads to buttons and even bagpipes!
Workers at Hope for Women produced these bracelets. This group aims to provide sustanable employment for women around the world, giving them the chance to take control of their lives and their future.
Here's what Rosa, a Columbian mother of two, says about her work with the company:

“Working with handicrafts is my life and I love what I do each day. I have been an artisan for more than 10 years, starting with collecting raw materials and then being trained to be a skilled craftsperson. The work is very comfortable and satisfying and I enjoy the relationships with the people I work with – they are like my second family...I think the sky is the limit for me. It doesn’t matter that I didn’t have the chance to study when I was young – with this work I know I will be growing everyday and I can take care of myself and my family."

You can buy these bracelets at our online store, or, as always, in our Chattanooga storefront location.

No comments: